Monday 15 October 2012

School

School is fine, and I will not bore you with stories. Instead, I will give a rundown of the differences between Abu Dhabi School life and that of England (and probably the US and Canada too)

1. The students are in charge
Never have I worked in a place where students have so much power and influence over the administration. A couple of times the students have asked for a new teacher and they got it. They can also request to leave early en-mass and they get it. It is worth noting that it is usually the Emirati students that get this privilege.
(Emiratis are the cream of the crop here and can basically do what they want, don’t get me wrong, they are very good people and also generous and hospitable – its just that they get preference, and it is their country)

2. Things change – frequently
My timetable has been changed at least 3 times a week since I arrived. I have even been transferred to a different school. There is a great fluidity here that keeps you on your toes and stops you from falling into a routine.


3. It is more relaxed
This is already changing and creeping in, but there is an absence of homework, not much monitoring of marking, only for formal assessment, no deadlines and an embracing of the saying ‘insha Allah’ (which I spoke about in a previous post). Students cheating? No problem, let them. There is an attitude here of that if the student wants to cheat, he/she will be found out eventually and they won’t get far. There is also the fact that if a child cheats in a test by looking at somebodies work, it is not actually cheating because he now knows the correct answer. I love it.

4. There is no martyrdom in the school amongst teachers
Everyone leaves when the bell goes with the students. Principal, administration and the teachers. If someone ever does stay behind and work they are met with almost unanimous suspicion. In England there is little solidarity between teachers (there is some mind) and for some, it almost seems like they want to be seen staying behind as it makes them look dedicated and a Martyr or education. I think if it takes somebody 4 hours after school to do something and it takes me 30 minutes, I should be the one that is seen as more professional. Arabic culture has a hierarchal priorities list with family, friends and religion all coming above work. If you need to leave early to pick up children or see your Father, nobody questions it.

5. The students, contrary to popular belief, and stories from other teachers, are well behaved.
I can’t talk for all students as I only teach grade 12 and 11 with a small experience with grade 10 at the previous school, but they are immaculately behaved.
( I do know that people that teach cycle 1 (Kindergarten – grade 5) have a much more difficult time dealing with ‘feral’ kids )

It is hard to teach the boys, don’t get me wrong, but there is little rudeness and no threatening or intimidating behavior to deal with like it can be in inner city schools in the UK. The main problem is talking – which is cultural and ingrained into them (even during assembly when the kids are quiet, the Arabic adults all speak loudly to, and over, each other while the kids are reading verses from the Qur’an) but there is nothing I can do about that.
The other issue is Laziness, but that isn’t a difference so I don’t need to talk about that – Kids everywhere can be lazy.

All in all I am enjoying my teaching experience and I would recommend it to anyone thinking of coming here to work. The money is great – not like in England!

2 comments:

  1. what you have described is pretty much what I am experiencing in my cycle three girls school.. Ii is difficult to get used to everyone leaving the school asap everyday. I mean, they FLY out of there!! But I am adjusting and learning to FLY also. watch my dust..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a good way of doing things Teri :)

    ReplyDelete